KDCA/NWOTA Border Issues Position Paper


Border Crossing Incident Report Form

KDCA/NWOTA is concerned about some of the comments we are hearing from visitors to Canada and Tourist Operators regarding turn backs and experiences encountered crossing the border.

Please take a moment to download the Border Incident Form, fill it out and fax back to 807 488-5514 or you can scan and email to info@nwota.com.

If you do not want your personal information used, just note that at the bottom and the information will be removed once the statistical information is put into our information. We ask that you provide it so that you can be contacted if need be.

Please click HERE to download the Border Incident Form.

If you are willing to provide your name and contact information so that your problem can be investigated further please download and complete the RELEASE OF INFORMATION FORM.

Thank you for taking the time to share your border experience with us.

Border Crossing Information

To following are a list of Links for Travel Information. Click on any of the links below to visit their website.

Anyone travelling to Canada should have 2 forms of identification, preferably one with a photo, for proof of identity, such as birth certificate, passport, drivers license.

If travelling with children (under 18 years) you must have identification for them. If the children do not belong to the person they are traveling with they must have a note from their legal guardian giving them permission travel with another, it is also advisable to supply a telephone number so that these travel arrangements can be confirmed by the Customs Agent.

For those visitors, with only one minor criminal conviction that is at least 10 years old, that are coming to Northwestern Ontario and crossing at the Fort Frances or Thunder Bay ports of entries. You may apply for a Letter of Rehabilitation to either office of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. In Thunder Bay call (807) 624-2158 or Fort Frances call (807) 274-3655. Either office will forward a kit that has been slightly modified from the one available on the ministry website. The processing time is expected to be approximately 4-6 weeks.

Those individuals with a more serious offence must go through the Canadian Consulate.

The border crossings are staffed with an Immigration Officer

In Fort Frances, Sunday through Saturday from 8 am – 12 am. In Rainy River, Tuesday through Saturday from 8 am – 4 pm.

If you have any questions or if you require any further information contact the Canada Immigration Centre Thunder Bay (807) 624-2158 Fort Frances (807) 274-3655.

Link to Border Crossing Q & A Fact Sheet.

AS OF JUNE 1, 2009 anyone entering into the USA must present a passport or another form of acceptable identification.
Use this link for identification that is acceptable to U.S. Customs & Border Protection Officers.


2009 Border Crossing Statistics

May 08-09 Border Crossing Comparison

June 08-09 Border Crossing Comparison

June Border Crossing Chart - Fort Frances/Rainy River

June Border Crossing Chart - Fort Frances/Rainy River YTD

June Border Crossing Chart - Ontario YTD

June Border Crossing Report - Canada YTD

October 08-09 Border Crossing Comparison

October Border Crossing Chart - Fort Frances/Rainy River YTD

October Border Crossing Chart - Pigeon River YTD

October Border Crossing Chart - Sault Ste. Marie YTD

October Border Crossing Chart - Ontario YTD

October Border Crossing Chart - Canada YTD

OTMPC Northern Office Update (April 2009)

Recommendations to Minister Smith

Cover to our recommendation to Minister Smith

Region 12 Recommendation

Letter to Minister Smith

Letter to Minister Smith


Cover to recommendation


Recommendation Region 12